Folia Cunard Line 1916 – 1917.
A four-masted, twin funnel liner. She was built in 1907 by Sir J. Laing & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, and was owned by Cunard S.S. C. Ltd. She measured 131.06 x 16.02 x 7.62 metres and grossed 6,705 tons.
Powered by a 6 cylinder triple-expansion steam engine which generated 807 hp. She was armed with a 12 pounder 12 cwt stern gun. While bound New York for Avonmouth with a 4,400-ton cargo of trench digging machinery, shell cases, and general cargo, she was torpedoed by U-53, which then surfaced and finally sank her with their deck gun.
Salvaging attempts were made as recently as 1977.
The Captain was F. Inch and 7 crew were lost out of 85.
Richard Larn’s book gives position as 4 miles South-East of Rams Head.