You are here
Home > Shipwrecks (Page 2)

About






Ardmore is a seaside village in County Waterford. It is located 40 miles between both Cork and Waterford and Clonmel. And, it forms part of Ireland’s Ancient East Trail. Ardmore’s name comes from the Irish Aird Mhór, meaning “Great Height”. Another translation of Ardmore is High Sheep Island. It has a resident population of around…






Step Into Maritime History – The Fleming

Fleming Ardmore






The Fleming family of Youghal were general merchants, and Martin J Fleming had several ships involved in the coal trade between Bristol Channel ports and the home port of Youghal. One of these vessels was the three masted schooner, the Nellie Fleming, called after his daughter. A sister ship the Kathleen & May was called…






Step Into Maritime History – The Folia

The Folia Ardmore






Folia Cunard Line 1916 – 1917. A four masted, twin funnel liner. She was built in 1907 by Sir J. Laing & Sons Ltd., Sunderland and was owned by Cunard S.S. C. Ltd. She measured 131.06 x 16.02 x 7.62 metres and grossed 6,705 tons. Powered by a 6 cylinder triple-expansion steam engine which generated…






Top