Ireland’s Ancient East

Ireland’s Ancient East

Plan your escape.

As Ireland’s oldest Christian site, Ardmore is ideally placed to take centre stage of Ireland’s Ancient East.

And, Ardmore Waterford has so much to offer visitors.

In the A–Z of Ireland’s Ancient East, it is not surprising that the first letter is given to Ardmore.

A is for Ardmore. The Round Tower in this Co. Waterford village, where St. Declan established his monastery, is the only monastery on Ireland’s coast.

Ireland's Ancient East

So what’s Ireland’s Ancient East all about?

Well, in April 2015, Fáilte Ireland introduced a new umbrella destination brand called Ireland’s Ancient East.

It’s a brand that offers visitors a compelling motivation to visit the East of Ireland. And, it reflects the rich and colourful history and diversity of the landscapes involved.

Ireland’s Ancient East is also a wonderful opportunity for you to experience 5000 years of history.

There are four distinct thematic pillars within Ireland’s Ancient East:

Early Christian Ireland Sites – As such, it is therefore no wonder that Ardmore has so much to offer in this pillar category. Other sites along the Ancient East Trail that are worth visiting include Clonmacnoise, Glendalough, Mellifont Abbey, Jerpoint Abbey, St.Canice’s Cathedral and Holycross Abbey.

The other three pillars are:

Ancient Ireland – The Dawn of Civilisation, including the prehistoric attractions of the Boyne Valley in Newgrange and sites such as the Brownshill Dolmen in Carlow.

Medieval Ireland Sites such as Kilkenny’s Medieval Mile, the Viking Quarter in Waterford, Hook Head Lighthouse, Trim Castle and the Rock of Cashel.

Anglo Ireland – This includes Ireland’s Great Houses and Gardens as well as sites such as the Dunbrody Famine Ship and Wicklow Gaol.

Explore Ireland’s Ancient East – Ardmore, County Waterford

Explore Ireland’s Ancient East – Ardmore, County Waterford

Decidedly grounded with one foot in the past and the other firmly looking to the future, Ardmore conjures up dreams of peaceful adventure and meets them every time. The Round Tower and Cathedral are the villages defacto icons and Ardmore Bay and the Cliff Walk inspire every visitor to want to put down roots here. In fact, there are some that believe that once you visit Ardmore once that it will forever stay in your heart.

There are many ways that you can travel to Ardmore but if you are taking the scenic route from Waterford to Ardmore, you’ll see enchanting sleepy seaside villages, the ever breathtaking sea views, the rolling Comeragh’s and the wonderful town of Dungarvan that are all along the way.

And, when you arrive you can bake in an enticing trail of delicious food, inspiring arts and crafts, architectural triumphs and centuries-old built environment on this incredible tour through Ardmore – all along Ireland’s Ancient East.

But do take your time to experience the culture, cuisine and history of Ardmore, County Waterford.

If you want to know where to stay, you’re almost guaranteed to fall in love over and over again.

The Place Names Of Ardmore

The Place Names Of Ardmore

Ardmore Waterford offers so much more than a city break.

Walking around Ardmore, you’ll be amazed of the beauty of this little hideaway. Dig a little deeper and you may even stumble on the unusual. Discover the “Well of the White Cow”? Stare at the “Stinking Corner”. And, even seek out the “Cave of the Wild Cats”.

For something a bit different, step back in time and let Rev. Canon Power be your guide to the placenames of Ardmore.

What’s In A Name?

Ardmore was an ancient monastic and episcopal parish – it is maritime in character – of great extent and curiously broken up into isolated fragments.

Historically it is one of the most important parishes in the county – if not, indeed, in Ireland. From our present special point of view also it is extremely interesting. It furnishes a large number of cliff names, some ecclesiastical names of value, and many unusual names and forms. St. Declan established himself here, probably in the 5th century and previous to the advent of St. Patrick. The chronology of Declan’s life is singularly complicated and uncertain. The ecclesiastical remains at Ardmore consist of a Cathedral, a Round Tower and a primitive oratory, and, at a distance of a quarter of a mile from the main group, stands a second early church with holy wells, &c.

There is likewise the site of a castle, frequently referred to in connection with the 17th century wars. For a detailed description of cathedral, tower, oratory, &c. see “Ardmore Deugláin.” (Cath. Truth Society of Ireland). Ardmore (Ard mhór “the Great Height”), is name of the parish only. An older name according to St. Declan’s Life was Ard na gCaorach – “Height of the Sheep.” Ard na gCaorach, as a place name, still survives; it is occasionally applied to that portion of the parish lying generally to south of the main road which runs from Ardmore village to the sea at Whiting Bay. Within the specified area are roughly comprised the townlands of Ardocheasty, Ardoginna, Farrengarret, and Ballinamona.

The village of Ardmore is spread over the adjoining portions of four townlands – Duff-Carrick, Dysert, Farrengarret and Monea. That wonderful industrialist, the Great Earl of Cork, developed an extensive pilchard fishery at Ardmore. In 1616 he erected a fish press and built salting and fish houses, all of which have long since disappeared. Local speakers of Irish pronounce the name, Aird Mhóir.

Townlands of Ardmore:

AHAUN: Áthán – “Little Ford.” Area 128 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D):
(a) Cloch Áthán – “Little Ford Stone”; a large pillar stone standing prominently on the summit of a bare ridge and visible for miles around.
(b) Áth na gCéim – “Stepping-Ford.”

ARDOCHEASTY: Ard Uí Shéasta – “O’Cheasty’s Height.” This was ancient chantry land. Area 172 acres. The present writer has edited, from the original at Brussels, Brother Michael O’Clery’s “Life of St. Declan” Irish Texts Society, 1916) “Life and letters of the Great Earl of Cork” (Townshend), p.101 “Archeolesty” (Distr. Bk.).
Sub denominations (S.D):
(a) Poulnagat (Ordnance Map), Poll na gCat, also Faill na gCat – “Cave (and “Cliff”) of the Wild Cats.”
(b) Leaca Dhóite – “Burned Glen Slope.”
(c) Páirc na Scolb – “Field of the Splinters (Skewers for thatching).”
(d) Faill an Duilisc – “Cliff of the Edible Seaweed.”
(e) Bóithrín an Deantaigh – “Meaning uncertain. Possibly Deantach is a personal name.
(f) “The Curring” – Meaning unknown; on boundary with Dysert.

ARDOGINNA: Ard Ó gCionáith – “O’Kinny’s or Kenna’s Height.” Area 425 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D):
I. Coastwise: (E. to W.).
(a) Gleann Phiarais – “Pierce’s Glen.”
(b) Faill na nGairdíní – “Cliff of the Gardens.”
(c) Gaibhlín an Phuith (?) – “Narrow Sea Inlet of the Wind Gust.”
(d) Carraig Fhada – “Long Rock.”
(e) Gaibhlín an Chubhair – “Sea Inlet of the Froth.”
(f) Faill an Mhadra Rua “The Fox’s Cliff”
(g) Cois Céim – “Stepping Stone.”
(h) Cúil an Ghearráin – “The Old Horse’s Corner.”
(i) Falla Bán – “White Wall.”
(j) Faill na bPréachán – “The Crows’ Cliff.”
(k) Pointe an tSeaga – “The Cormorant’s Point.”
(l) Faill na Bó – “The Cow’s Cliff.”
(m) Poll na Gaoithe – “Windy Cavern.”
(n) Gaibhlín na Mealbhóg – “Narrow Sea Inlet of the Pouches.”
(o) Faill an Iarrainn – “Iron Cliff.”
(p) Faill na gCaorach – “Sheeps’ Cliff.”
(g) Gleann Beag – “Little Glen.”
(r) Gabhlín an tSeaga – “Narrow Sea Inlet of the Cormorant.”
(s) Cloch (or Croch) an Oidhre – “The Heir’s Rock (or Gallows).” The name is accounted for as follows. A young man, the heir of considerable property, had gained a certain lady’s affections. A jealous and disappointed rival contrived at a ball to put by stealth into the young man’s pocket a gold cup, which he then accused him of stealing. The accused fled on horseback and, being pursued, jumped his horse over Faill Fhada calculating the animal would fail to clear the chasm and that both would be killed. The horse, however, jumped the opening and landed on a piece of earth-covered rock at the other side. Here the young man took refuge in a cave, but was tracked by bulldogs, taken finally, and hanged at this place!
(t) Faill Fhada – “Long Cliff.”
(u) Carraig an tSasanaigh – “The Englishman’s Rock.”
(v) Clais na mBolamán – “Trench of the shad (Horse Mackerel).”
(w) Oileán na nGabhar – “The Goat’s Island.”
(x) Gaibhlín an tSagairt – “The Priest’s Little Sea Inlet.”
(y) Gort an Dúinín – “Garden of the Little Fort.” The “Fort” in question is an entrenched headland which the present place adjoins.
(z) Carraig Uí Bhric – “O’Bric’s Rock” ; uncovered at low water, as is the next.
(aa) Carraig Bhuí – “Yellow Rock.”
(bb) Carraig an Mhadra – “Rock of the Dog (Wolf).”
(cc) An Lochtaigh – “Cliff of the Ledges.”
(dd) Carraig Philib – “Philip’s Rock.”
(ee) Faill an Leanmhanaigh – “Cliff of the Pursuer.”
(ff) Faill na Cuaille Seasaimh – “Cliff of the Standing Pole.”
(gg) Faill an Reithe – “Cliff of the Ram.”
(hh) Faill na mBioránach – “Cliff of the Sprats,” or “ Sharp-pointed Rocks.”
II. Inland:
(ii) Tobairín an tSiúcra – “Little Well of the Sugar.”
(jj) Móineán Oidhre – “The Heir’s Little Bog.”
(kk) Bán an Rinnce – “Field of the Dance.”

BALLINROAD: Baile an Róid – “Road Homestead.” Area 202 acres.

BALLINTLEA: Baile an tSléibhe – “Mountain Homestead.” On this are the graveyard and ruined church of Ballymacart. Area (in two divisions) 290 acres.

BALLYCURRANE: Baile Uí Chorráin – “O’Currane’s or Carey’s Homestead.” Area 223 acres. “Ballycurryn” (Inq. Jas. I.).
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Páirc na dTruiseanna (dTurasanna) – “Field of the Devotional Rounds.” See Journal R.S.A. (Ireland) Vol. XXXVI., pp.248-9

BALLYGUIRY: (See under Dungarvan par.) Area 261 acres.

BALLYKILMURRY: Baile Mhic Giolla Mhuire (also Baile Uí Mhic Giolla Mhuire) – “MacGillemory’s (or O’MacGillemorys) Homestead.” “MacGillemory, a leading Norse family in Waterford, was in later times said to have come from Devonshire.” Journal R.S.A.I. Sept. 1901, p. 302. Area 113 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D):
(a) Faill an Uisce – “The Water Cliff.”
(b) Faill na gCaorach – “Cliff of the Sheep.”
(c) An Bruachán – “The Little Bank (or Border)”; a bank of land running into the sea.
(d) Carraig na Rónta – “The Seals Rock.”

BALLYNAHARDA: Baile na hArda – “Homestead of the Height (Ridge).” Area 266 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Faill an Chnoic Rua – “Cliff of the Red Hill.”
(b) Cabhar an Ime – “The Butter Causeway.”
(c) Rinn an Oileáin – “The Island Point.”
(d) Faill an Ghabhair – “The Goat’s Cliff.”
(e) Faill an Ghlíntín. See (d) under Ballinamona II below.

BALLYNAGLERAGH: Baile na gCléireach – “Clergy Town.” Area 98 acres.

BALLYNAMERTINAGH: Baile na mBirtíneach – “Homestead of the Small Bundles” (O.D. O’Donovan ?). Although this is O’Donovan’s interpretation, I regard it with considerable doubt. It seems much more probable that the qualifying word represents a family name, scil:- Martin or Merton. The Act (16 Chas. I.) for adjusting differences between the Earl of Cork and the Bishop of Waterford enacts that “the Castle in Ardmore lately builded by Sir E. Harris with the two plowlands next adjoining called Carriggduffe and Ballymartinagh be made mensalls for ever of the Bishoprick.” Area 336 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Áth na gClárach – “Ford of the Planks.”
(b) Tobar na Tuinne – “Well of the Quagmire.”
(c) Páirc na Scine – “Field of the Knife.”
(d) Páirc an Chlampair – “Field of the Contention.”
(e) Cnoc Airdín (now often bun an Chnoic – “Bottom of the Hill”) – “Hill of the Little Height.”
(f) Clais na Muc – “The Pigs’ Trench”; a ravine on the coterminous boundary of this townland with Ballybrusa and Ballylane.

BALLYNAMONA I: Baile na Móna – “Homestead of the Bog.” There are, strangely enough, two townlands of the name in the parish. Area (in two divisions) 464 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Poll Rua – “Red Hole (Cavern)”; a sub-division of some 300 acres.
(b) Páirc na dTurcach – “Field of the Turks (or Turkeys).”
(c) Tigh Chaille Bhéara – “Caille Beara’s House”; this is a dolmen standing close to edge of the cliff.
(d) Faill an Ghlíntín. This is locally understood to mean “Cliff of the Streamlet.” There is a similarly named cliff on Ballinaharda, and in both cases the cliff so designated is between two small glens running down to the sea.

BALLYNAMONA II: Baile na Móna – “Homestead of the Bog.” This townland, of same name as last, is separated from the latter by some miles; they cannot therefore be regarded as portions of a common Ballynamona. Area 738 acres.
Sub denomination ( S.D.):
(a) Lisíní – “Little Lioses.”

BALLYTRISNANE: Baile Uí Thriosnáin – “O’Tresnan’s Homestead.” Area 281 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Cill – “Church.” The name is here applied to two fields (formerly one) in which is an early church site and close to the latter – a Holy Well.
(b) Gleanntán an Mhadra – “Little Glen of the Dog (Wolf).”
(c) Tobar Thriosnáin – Still occasionally visited.

BARRANALEAHA: Barra na Léithe – “Summit of Leagh.” Leagh is the townland immediately adjoining, lower down the hillside. Area 123 acres.

BARRANASTOOKA: Barra na Stuac – “Summit (Height) of the Projecting Peak.” Area 419 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Currach Cinn – “Swamp of the Head”; a well-known subdivision.

BOHERBOY: Bóthar Buí – “Yellow Road.” Area 212 acres.

CARRIGEEN: Carraigín – “Little Rock.” Area 46 acres.

CARRONAHYLA: Carn na hAidhle – O’Donovan renders it “Cairn of the Adze” and surmises that the monument marks the grave of a cooper. More probably Carn na hAibhle – “Cairn of Fire Spark (or ‘Electric Flash’ ),” or, “of the Wind” – also, Aidhle. Area 157 acres.

CARRONBEG: Carn Beag – “Little Cairn.” Area, 230 acres.

CARRONADAVDERG: Carn an Daimh Deirg – “Cairn of the Red Ox.” This carn is erroneously marked Sliabh Grainn on old Maps. A remarkable eminence visible for many miles in three directions. A wild legend accounts for the name. Fionn and a contemporary giant had a “difference” as to ownership of a certain red bull. In the heat of dispute the rival proprietors seized each a horn of the beast and pulled the creature in twain. Something over a century and a half since, an enterprising man named Gilmartin erected a windmill on the summit of the Cairn. Area 357 acres.

CLASHBRACK: Clais Bhreac – “Speckled Trench.” Area 226 acres.

CLOGHERAUN: Cloichreán – “Stony Place”; entirely uninhabited. Area 202 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Loch Mór – “Great Pond.” COOLROE, Cúil Rua – “Red Corner.” Area 700 acres.

CROBALLY: Crua Bhaile – “Stiff-soiled Townland.” Area (in two divisions) 757 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Leac Thaidhg Mhóir – “Big Teigh’s Flagstone.”
(b) Bóthar Leathan – “Wide Road.”
(c) An Cladán – “The Fence-like Stone Pile”; a sub-division containing a single farm.
(d) Clocha Breaca – “Spotted Rocks”: a small sub-division.
(e) Láithreach – “(The) Open Space”; applied, in this case, to the commonage surrounding Crobally well. (f) Bóithrín Leasa Aoire – “Little Road of the Shepherd’s Lios.”
(g) Tobar na Bó Finne – “Well of the White Cow.”
(h) An Chill, a field in which is an early church site.
Cliffwards (E. to W.):-
(i) Faill Dhearg – “Red Cliff.”
(j) Cois Druide – “Foot of the Starling”; a cliff.
(k) Carraig an Deargáin – “Rock of the Bream”; an isolated rock in the sea.
(l) Gaibhlín Bréan – “Stinking Narrow Sea Inlet.”
(m) Faill an Fhíona – “The Wine Cliff.”
(n) Cois an Oileáin – “(Place) Beside the Island.”
(o) An Cumar – “The Confluence (or ‘Valley’)”; a cleft in the cliff.
(p) Carraig na Seagaí – “Rock of the Cormorants.”
(q) An Cúlaim. The name is here applied to a deep inlet of the sea which forms a small harbour. The word seems to signify a haven.
(r) Béal an Chuain – “Mouth of the Haven.”
(s) Faill an Aitinn – “The Furze Cliff.”
(t) Faill Dhúngarbhán – “Dungarvan’s Cliff.”
(u) Faill Ifrinn – “Hell’s Cliff.”
(v) Faill na mBreallán – “Cliff of the Shell-fish.”
(w) Cúil Bhréan – “Stinking Corner”; so named from its odour of decaying seaweed.

CROSSFORD: Áth na Croise – “Ford of the (Termon?) Cross.” Area 102 acres.

CRUSHEA: Crois Aodha – “Aodh’s Cross.” Area 171 acres. “Crosshea” (Inq. Eliz.).
Sub denomination (S.D.):
(a) Carraig Aodha – “Aodh’s Rock”; in the sea, but uncovered at low water. In the 5th century, Declan’s time, this rod would probably have stood well over high water.
CURRAGH: Currach – “Swamp.” The sandy soil is peculiarly suited to potatoes which are grown here extensively by the fishermen. Liam O’Meehan, however, tells me the name is really An Chora, pron. Churra – “The Weir.” Area 291 acres. “Currach Tirim na Sac” (Old Saying).
Sub denomination (S.D.):
(a) Loch Mór – “Great Pond”; a lagoon.
(b) Bóithrín na Leacan – “Little Road of the Glen Slope,” running east and west.
(c) Bóithrín an Leasa – “Little Road of the Lios”; parallel with last.
(d) Tobairín Mhuire – “Mary’s Little Well”; this however has no reputation for sanctity.
(g) Carraig an Phóna – “Rock of the Pound.”
(f) Páirc na Teorann – “Field of the Boundary.”
(g) Tobar Dháithí Óig – “Young David’s Well.”
(h) Bóithrín na Ladhaire – “Little Road of the River Fork.”
(i) Cúlaim – ‘A Field’ name. See under Corbally. In the present instance, the name is applied to a field! Cúlaim, as a place name, occurs four times in the county, scil:- three times in this parish and once in Rathmoylan.

DRUMSLIG: Drom Slioga – “Shell Ridge.” Area 529 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Mine Shafts (O.M.), Mianach an Iarainn – “Iron Mine.” Iron Ore was worked here on a small scale in the beginning of the last century. Two of the workings have special names, scil:- Mianach Mór and Mianach Beag.

DUFFCARRICK: Carraig Dhubh – “Black Rock.” Area 178 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Loch Mór – “Great Pond”; a lagoon of brackish water.
(b) St. Declan’s Stone (O.M.); a boulder to which wonderful healing powers, are popularly attributed. It lies on the strand, and on the Saint’s feast day persons desiring cures crawled through a cavity beneath it and performed various devotions. This is the celebrated rock on which the Saint’s Bell or altar stone was carried across the sea from Wales.
(c) Bóithrín an Treinse – “Little Road of the Trench.” This modern road represents portion of the ancient highway which ran northwards from Ardmore to Cashel. In other portions of its course the road is known as the “Track” or “Trench” of St. Patrick’s Cow, &c.
(d) Faiche – “Hurling Green.” This was a sandy space, thirty acres in extent and grass overgrown, which lay between the present partly-washed-away strand road and the sea. Only about two acres of the green remain; the balance has been carried away by the sea.
(e) Crannóg – “Artificial Island.” This has entirely disappeared. The site, which is now far below high water mark, must have been a tideless lagoon at the date of construction of the crannog. Curiously enough, Crannóg is also the Irish for a pulpit and the dicky of a coach; the idea of isolation, on an eminence overlooking one’s surroundings, underlies the various uses of the word.
(f) Páirc an Mhadra – “The Dog’s (Or Wolf’s) Field.”

DYSERT: Díseart – “Hermitage.” There are ruins of a church – probably late mediaeval, also a much venerated Holy Well and some stone crosses of rude character. On this townland (W. boundary) there was also a castle which stood a short siege in 1642; no remains survive. Area 224 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Coolamore and Coolabeg (Ordnance Map), Cúlaim. See under Curragh, above.
(b) Ram Head (O.M.), Carraig (also Ceann) an Ráma. Derivation unknown.
(c) Leac na gCánóg – “Flagstone of the Puffins.”
(d) Faill na Daraí – “Cliff of the Oak Tree.”
(e) Faiche Mhór – “Great Plain” (perhaps, for Fathach Mór – “Great Giant”); the name is applied to a huge cliff.
(f) Leac an Té – “Flagstone of the Tea.”
(g) Droichidín – “Little Bridge.”
(h) Cúil an Chaisleáin – “Castle Corner.”
(i) Carraig Liath – “Grey Rock.”
(j) Lic – (locative) Lónáin – “Lonan’s Flagstone.” Lonan was one of Declan’s disciples who is stated to have accompanied the Saint from Rome to Ireland.
(k) Faill na Slinneacha – “Cliff of the Slaty Places.”
(l) Pointe Mhic Raghallaigh – “Mac Raghailigh’s Point,”
(m) An Droichidín – “The Little Bridge.”
(n) Faill na Méaróg – “Cliff of the Pebbles (Hand Stones).” Méaróg – also = “Finger-post.”

FAHA: Faiche – “Hurling Green.” Area 211 acres.

FARRANALOUNTY: Fearann na Lóinte – “Farm of the Stores.” “Farrenollonty” (Distr. Bk.). Area 97 acres.

FARRANGARRETT: Fearann Ghearóid – “Garrett’s Farm.” Area 811 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Tobar na Baidhbe – “The Banshee’s Well.”

GARRANASPICK: Garrán an Easpaig – “The Bishop’s Grove”; a detached portion of the parish. Area 184 acres.
[Note: Garranaspic is normally associated with parish of Kinsalebeg].

GARRYNAGREE: Garraí na Groí – “Garden of the Horses.” Area 308 acres.

GATES: Na Geataí – Idem. Here, in former times, stood the commonage gates, on the boundary of the then reclaimed land. Beyond the gates, to the north, stretched primaeval mountain. Reclamation, in later times, advanced half a mile further towards the mountain, but recently there is a receding movement which promises to give back to the grudging waste most of what, with God knows how much toil, has been wrung from it. Area 97 acres.

GLENALEERISKA: Gleann an Liath-Ruisc – “Glen of the Grey Eye.” From its resemblance to an eye. Area 81 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Súil an Ghleanna – “Glen’s Eye.”

GLENLICKY: Gleann Luice – “Lickey Glen.” Area 309 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) An Luice, The River Lickey. Bealach I dTúir – “The Original Bridle Path.”

GORTEEN: Goirtín – “Little Garden.” Area 242 acres.

GOWLAN: Gabhlán – “Little River Fork.” Area 74 acres.

GRALLAGH: Greallach – “Miry Place.” Area 189 acres.

HACKETSTOWN: Baile Mhic Caodaigh. Idem. There is site of an ancient castle. Area 193 acres. “Hacketstowne” (A.S.E.). An Tóchar – “The Causeway.”

KIELY’S CROSS: Crossaire Chadhla.

KILCOLMAN: Cill Cholmáin – “Colman’s Church.” It was St. Colman, a bishop, reputed titular, of this church, who baptised St. Declan. The site of the early church is indicated by a small mound and an ancient white-thorn tree (Crann Cholmáin – “St. Colman’s Tree.”). Area 325 acres. See Waterford Archaeological Journal, Vol. I. p. 198; also Dungarvan Journal, No. I.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Tobar Cholmáin – “Colman’s Well”; now drained away. Beside this, till quite recently, was preserved the “stone chalice” of the Saint.
(b) Cloicheartach – “Stony Place”; name of a field.
(c) Garraí an Reachtaire – “The Steward’s Garden.”
(d) Cuid an Rábaire – “Portion of the Strong Rough Man.”
(e) Coinigéar – “Rabbit Warren.”

KILKNOCKAN: Cill an Chnocáin – “Church of the Little Hill”; site of the early church was discovered in a field sometimes called Páirc na Cille. Area 201 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Corr’ Uisce Fhinn – “Round Hill of the Clear (White) Water.”

KNOCKANROE: Cnocán Rua – “Little Red Hill.” Area 20 acres.

KNOCKATOOR: Cnoc an Tuair – “Hill of the Cattle Field.” Area 255 acres.

KNOCKNAFREENY: Cnocán Fréiní – “Franey’s Hillock.” Area 80 acres.

KNOCKNACAPPUL: Cnoc na gCapall – “Hill of the Horses.” Area 191 acres.

KNOCKNAGLOGH: Cnoc na gCloch – “Hill of the Stones.” Area (in two divisions) 935 acres.

KNOCKNAHOOLA: Cnoc na hUaille – “Hill of the Howling.” (O’D.). Area 275 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) St. Michael’s Well (Ordnance Map). This is not known locally as a Holy Well.

KNOCKNAMONA: Cnoc na Móna – “Hill of the Bog.” Area 354 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Garraithe Glasa – “Green Gardens.”
(b) Cnocán na mBuachaillí – “Little Hill of the Boys.”
(c) Fear Bréige – “False Man”; a pillar stone.

LACKAMORE: Leaca Mhór – “Great Glen Slope.” Area 83 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Tobar an Chaipín – “Well of the Little Cap.”; the cap in question is a hood of masonwork overshadowing the spring.
(b) Cnoc Roibín – “Robin’s Hill.”

LACKENAGREANY: Leacan na Gréine – “Sunny Glen Slope.” Area 279 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Cloch an Dalláin – “Pillar Stone.” This is a remarkable pillar standing on the mountain a few perches to south of a stream which forms the north boundary of the townland.

LAGNAGOUSHEE: Lag na gCáitheadh Sí – “Hollow of the Winnowings of the (sudden) Wind-Blast.” Area 732 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Fear Bréige – “Simulated man”; a pillar stone.
(b) LICKEYBEG, An Luice Bheag – “The Small Lickey (Stream).”

LISKEILTY: Lios Caoilte – “Caoilte’s (or Keilty’s) Lios.” Area 65 Acres.

LISAROW: Lios an Rogha – “Lios of the Choice”; or Lios an Rabhaidh – “L. of the Signal.” Area 127 acres. “Baile Uí Chuinn na gcrann ‘S Lios a’ Rabhaidh ar a Cheann” (Old Rhyme).
Sub denominations ( S.D.):
(a) Gleann na Feadaíle – “Glen of the Whistling.”

LOSKERAN: Loiscreán – “Scorched (Land).” Area 369 acres. “Loscarane” (Down Survey).
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Cill Dhonnchadha – “Donnchadh’s Church”; site of an early church, close to which stands a massive pillar stone.

LYRE: Ladhair – “River Fork.” Area 237 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Móin an Ghabhláin – “Bog of the River Fork.”

MOANBRACK: Móin Bhreac – “Speckled Bog.” Area 140 acres.

MOANFUNE: Móin Fionn – “White Bog.” Area 134 acres. Móin na Caillí – “The Bog of the Hag.”

MONAGILLEENY: Apparently – Móin na gCillíní – Meaning uncertain. O’Donovan renders it: “Bog of the Little Churches.” Liam O’Meehan says the Irish form is Móin na nGaibhlíní, “Bog of the Little River Forks.” Area 163 acres.

MONAGOUSH: Móin an Ghiúis – “Bog of the Fir.” Area 270 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Mine Head (O.M.) Mian Ard – “High Mine” so called from lead and silvermines worked here by the Earl of Cork. On Mine Head is one of the chief lighthouses on the Southern Irish Coast. The Irish form is Mion Ard.

MONALUMMERY: Móin an Lomraidh – “Bog of the Fleece (of Moss?).” Area 237 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Carn an Dreoilín – “The Wren’s Cairn,” on which stands the next.
(b) Dubhán – “Little Black (Thing)”; a pillar stone.

MONAMEEAN: Móin na Mian – “Bog of the Mines.” Iron ore was quarried there in the 17th century. Area 476 acres.

MONAMRAHER: Móin na mBráthar – “Bog of the Friars”; perhaps the Brethren had turbary rights there. Area 183 acres. See Waterford Archeological Journal, Vol. IX., p.143.

MONANEEA: Móin an Fhia – “Bog of the Deer.” Area 171 acres.

MONEA: Móin Aodha – “Aodh’s Bog.” Area 402 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Bóithrín Phiarais – “Pierce’s Little Road.”
(b) Páirc an Ultaigh – “Field of the Fortune Teller (Ulsterman).”
(c) Páirc an Bhráca – “Field of the Wattle Hut.”
(d) Cathedral, Round Tower and Primitive Oratory (O.M.).
(e) Páirc na nGampairí – “Field of the Grampuses.” The grampus is a species of dolphin sometimes found along the Irish coasts.
(f) Cloch an Datha – “Stone of the Dye.” This is a dressed block of limestone (4’ 6” X 2” 37”), quadrangular based, and a truncated pyramid in shape, which lies at present before the hall door of Monea House. It is apparently the plinth of an ancient cross. The hole for reception of the shaft came in a less reverent age to be used as a dye bath, hence the modern name.

MOYNG: Muing – “Morass.” Area (in two divisions) 513 acres.

MT. STUART
: a modern name; An Tuar. See “Tour” below. Area 196 acres.

MWEELING: Maoilinn – “Hill Summit.” Area 1 17 acres.

NEWTOWN: Baile Nua. Idem. Ladhar Bhán (“White River-Fork”) appears to have been the original name. Area 233 acres. “Newtowne als Liarbane” (Forfeited Estates and Interests, 1688).
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Tobar Riobáird – “Robert’s Well.”
(b) Bóthar Buí – “Yellow Road.” It is not quite certain whether this sub-denomination belongs to the present or to the adjoining townland.

PRAP: An Phraip – “The Cluster of (Houses or Brushwood).” O’D. renders it as “Mud.” Area 162 acres.

PULLA: Polladh – “Excavation” or “Boring.” Iron ore was formerly mined here by the Stuarts of Dromana, a little over 100 years ago. Area 270 acres.

RATHLEAD: Ráth Liad – “Liad’s Rath.” Area 278 acres. “Rathclead.” (Distr. Bk.). “Rathleade” (A.S.E.).

RATHNAMENEENAGH: Ráth na mBiríneach now corrupted to Miníneach – “Rath of the Coarse Grass (or Sedge).” Portion of the townland belongs to Ringagonagh Parish. Area 364 acres.

REAMANAGH: Ré Mheánach – “Middle Mountain-Plain.” Area (in two divisions) 680 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Móin an Ghabhair – “The Goat’s Bog.”
(b) Móin an Chrainn – “Bog of the Tree.”

REANABOOLA: Ré na Buaile – “Mountain-Flat of the Milking Place.” Area 255 acres.

REANACLOGHEEN: Ré na gCloichín – “Mountain-Plain of the Small Stones.” The townland is perhaps better known as Carn na gConaill. (“Cairn of the Connells”). Area 224 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Móin an Uisce – “Water Bog.”
(b) Páirc na Foidhreach – “Field of the Water-hollowed Trench.” In this field is a laneway along bottom of the natural trench aforesaid.

REANAGULLEE: Ré na gCoillí – “Mountain-Plain of the Grouse”; thus O’Donovan – perhaps however it would be safer to class the name as of doubtful meaning. Ré na Giollaí according to the old natives. Area 305 acres.

REANASKEHA: Ré na Sceiche – “Mountain-Plain of the Whitethorn Bush.” Area 203 acres.

REANAVIDOGE: Ré na bhFeadóg – “Mountain-Plain of the Plover.” Area 196 acres.

RODEEN: Róidín – “Little Road.” This small townland is detached and forms a kind of island within Grange parish. Area 40 acres.
Sub Denominations (S.D):
(a) Cill – Early Church or Graveyard site, on side of slope above the main Dungarvan-Youghal road and bounded on the north by a laneway. Soldiers who fell in a skirmish are said to have been buried here. The slope itself is:
(b) Leacan – “Glen Slope.”

RUSHEENS: Ruisíní – “Little Woods.” Area 114 acres. Faiche na Ruisíní – “Rusheens Hurling Green.”

SCORDAUN: Scárdán – “Small Cataract.” Area 127 acres.

SCRAHANA: Screathanna – “Light-soiled Fields.” Area 285 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Áth na Móna – “The Bog Ford.”

TOOR: Tuar – “Cattle Field.” This place was styled – T. na Bó Báinne to distinguish it from other Toors. Area (in two divisions) 1015 acres.
Sub denominations (S.D.):
(a) Móin na gCaor – “Bog of the Berries.” In the history of Round Towers the story of the present tower claims a place apart. The Ardmore tower stood a siege in August, 1642, on which occasion ordnance was actually brought into use against it. See Waterford Archaeological Journal, Vol. IV., pp. 56. A writer of the Vallancey School translates the name –“Stone of the Daghdha (Tuatha De Danaan King).” See Kilkenry Archaeological Journal, 1856. pp.43 for further outré views and theories concerning Ardmore antiquities, the reader is referred to that extraordinary book, Marcus Keane’s “Towers and Temples of Ancient Ireland,” pp. 161, 454, and passim.
(b) Macha na Bó Báine – “Milking Yard of the White Cow.”
(c) Tobar na Bó Báine – “Well of the White Cow.”
(d) Droichead an Tuair – “Toor Bridge.”

Primarily extracted from details in a publication The Placenames of the Decies written by Rev. Canon Power in 1907 and later modified by Alfred O’ Rahilly of UCC in 1952.

This Year You’ll Fall In Love With Ardmore, Waterford (Again)

This Year You’ll Fall In Love With Ardmore, Waterford (Again)

Sleeply lanes and idyllic walks define Ardmore, Waterford. You’ll find thatched cottages, twisting streets, artistic treats and culinary delights. And, you’ll soon start to wonder why on earth you haven’t come here sooner.

As you breeze down Main Street and romance a while into the wonderful Brigid Shelley Gallery, you’ll start to fall in love with her Cow portraits for which she is widely known.

A short stroll across the street will land you in Breda O’ Brien’s Gallery. Her wide and ever changing range of paintings will entice any visitor to stay longer. Her cafe is a nugget in the village. So do stop for a cappuccino, or even two. And, don’t miss her homemade scones or mouth-watering coffee cake.

Ardmore Head

But do keep some room for an ice-cream at Beachcomers. It’s just down the street towrads the storm wall. And, for families you’ll also get everything there for an adventure with the kids on the strand or to pop into to the wonderful Farmers Market held every Sunday in the Summer.

For those hungry for more artistic endeavours, then turn towards the cliff and experience a blissful peace while entering Ardmore Pottery and Gallery. Established by Mary Lincoln in 1983, it’s firmly on the map for any visitor to Ardmore on Ireland’s Ancient East Trail.

For an extra boost of creativity, just ramble up a few doors up and enter The Anchor Art and Design Boutique. This stocks an eclectic mix of tasteful Irish accessories, cashmere scarves and bags, alongside original artwork by local painters.

Still not satisfied, then you just have to travel to the new line and step into the artistic world of Judy Shinnick. Judy is an award winning classically trained artist living and working in Ardmore. She also spends her time in Dubai – so is a true International artist. Her latest portraits have really captured the hearts and souls of so many here in Ardmore. Judy also teaches watercolour, oil and mixed media workshops.

After all this exploration, you’ll defintely have to while away some time over lunch in any one of the eatery’s in Ardmore. These include Waterhorses, The Cliff House Hotel, The Round Tower Hotel, Ardmore Gallery and Tearoom, or Shipmates. Each menu caters for whatever you desire.

And, then to end the day why not take a stroll on the Cliff Walk.

This walk harnesses tranquility in a way that few can really describe properly.

And, perhaps and even without planning it, you’ll soon find that you’ll be head over heels in love with Ardmore. And, that this small little seaside village will be forever imprinted in your heart and mind.

There’s magic here, come and fall in love.

Location, Location, Location – The Cliff Walk

Location, Location, Location – The Cliff Walk

Ardmore Cliff Walk

This is a unique 4km walk with beautiful sea scapes. Breathtaking views. Legends. Wildlife. Battle sites. And don’t forget, it’s simply smothered in Irish Heritage.

It should take you around an hour to complete. Look out for the yellow arrow on brown background waymakers to led the way.

From the vilage, head up past the Cliff House Hotel to go around Ardmore Head and Ram Head. This walk brings you on cliff-top paths and the laneways of the Early Christian St Declan’s Well. On the 24th July each year, the well is a place of pilgrimage for 100’s of years. Look out for the crosses hand-scored into the stones of the building. And, if your in Ardmore in July make sure you try to get to the the pattern festival.

Continue towards the Ardmore Head and soak up the simply amazing views.

On your right you will see the coastguard station. It was the second coast guard station in Ardmore, the first one at the Ardmore end of the strand became a victim of coastal erosion. It was contunually manned until the Civil War in 1922 and was abandoned in 1921. It was taken over by the republicans on independence and subsequently burnt down. The old Coast Guard Station is now a private residence.

You will then pass a shipwreck known as Sampson. It was wrecked here on a stormy night in 1988.

Two lookout posts are then visible. One from circa 1867. It was built during the Napoleonic wars as an early warning system if the French tried to invade Ireland. And, the second was used for observation during World War II.

Cliff Walk

You’ll then move on to Father O’Donnell’s Well. The walk is covered with a variety of flora, fauna and birdlife and some of the best stunning coastal scenery you’ll see along Ireland’s Ancient East.

As you continue down towards the village, you’ll also get to see a 12th Century Cathedral and Ardmore’s Round Tower which is one of the best preserved towers in Ireland. This Round Tower is also the first known Round Tower in Ireland on which occasion ordnance was actually brought into use against it. It stood a siege in August, 1642. Two ogham stones are kept in the old cathedral – one of which constitutes the longest known ogham inscription in Ireland.

We embed a link to the Tracks and Trails broadcast in June 2013 on RTE ONE that showcases this lovely walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlx6_PYJoM

A special thank you to the Irish Trails Office for letting us include this link with more details on this walk.

The Irish Trails Office also offer a handy map here.

Map of Ardmore

45 – A Simply Wonderful Film By Katie Lincoln

45 – A Simply Wonderful Film By Katie Lincoln

It is such a privilege to include this wonderful film by Katie Lincoln.

For everyone that knows of Reilly’s Bar, and indeed the brilliant game of 45 that takes part there every Friday night, you’ll appreciate the truly unique nature of this place and weekly event.

Michael once described the game of 45 as being “a microcosm of life”. And, in so many ways that is really true. But, it’s also just not about the cards. The players, their lives, their stories and Ardmore itself all becomes part of the mix.

Personally, this card game should be remembered up there with the Round Tower, the Cliff Walk, Declan’s Stone and lots of other things that people think off when they think of Ardmore.

And, for anyone that has ever played in the game there you’ll know of the magic that can exist there. It will amuse you, annoy you, baffle you, get you cross, cause a dispute but at the end of the day it will still always make you smile.

Truly a special place and game. And, Katie Lincoln and Michael O’Reilly have preserved this for generations to come.

This insightful documentary is directed by Katie Lincoln and produced by Ruth Treacy (Tailored Films). The director of photography is Julianne Forde and the editor is David O’Brien.

From the producers:

“45 is the great card game of the Irish countryside. What do you do to get by on the long lonely nights? For Michael, Tommy and Brian – they play 45.”

We would like to thank Katie Lincoln and Ruth Treacy of Tailored Films for letting us show this film on our heritage site.

New Winter Festival For Ardmore

New Winter Festival For Ardmore

The Ardmore-Grange Heritage is delighted to announce that we have recently been selected by Waterford County Council to receive funding to develop a winter heritage festival in Ardmore.

As one of Ireland’s oldest Christian sites, Ardmore is uniquely positioned on Ireland’s Ancient East to offer considerable value to everyone involved.

More details to follow very soon …

WCC

Remembering Easter 1916 – Ardmore Waterford

Remembering Easter 1916 – Ardmore Waterford

100 years on we appropriately remember all those involved in Easter 1916.

Remembering Easter 1916

e4
e5
e1
e6
e2
e3
Loading image... Loading image... Loading image... Loading image... Loading image... Loading image...
Hans Rose And The Crew Of The U-53

Hans Rose And The Crew Of The U-53

On any sunny day on the cliff walk in Ardmore, you’ll expect to see many locals and visitors alike looking out to sea hoping to catch glimpse of the whales that grace our coast line. Fortunately, these encounters are also far more frequent.

And, we are hoping that our recent series of posts on the shipwrecks along the coast of Ardmore will also attract the curiosity of visitors and residents.

In this post we return to our stories of the loss of the Folia on the 11th March, 1917. And, we’ll concentrate now on sharing more about the U-53, Captain Has Rose and his crew.

U53SHIP

The U-53
The U-53 was commissioned on the 22nd April 1916 and was a class U-51 type of submarine.

It had a speed of 17.1 knots (31.7 km/h) when surfaced and 9.1 knots (16.9 km/h) when submerged.

It had a range of 9,400 nautical miles (17,400 km; 10,800 mi) at 8 knots (15 km/h; 9.2 mph) surfaced and 55 nautical miles (102 km) at 5 knots (9.3 km/h; 5.8 mph) submerged. And, was expected to reach a test depth of 50 m.

It had a complement of 36 sailors and its armaments included 4 × 50 cm (19.7 in) torpedo tubes torpedo tubes (two bow, two stern), 7 torpedoes and 2 × 8.8 cm (3.5 in) deck guns.

It took part on13 patrols until the11th November 1918. And it reported having sunk 87 merchant ships sunk (224,314 tons), 1 warship (1,050 tons) and 10 merchant ships damaged (46,339 tons).

On the 1st December 1918 it surrendered and was broken up at Swansea in 1922.

hans-rose

The Captain Of The U-53
Hans Rose was in command of the U 53 from 22 April 1916 – 17 August 1918. He was born on 15 April 1885. And, was one of the most respected, highly decorated and successful German U-Boat commanders during World War I.

He was known for his courage and humanity in battle. After torpedoing a vessel he would make sure their crew were all in their lifeboats, take them in tow, provide food and waited for a rescue ship to appear on the horizon, free the tow line and submerge, many times putting his own vessel at risk.

Rose sank 79 ships for a total of 213,987 tons during the WW1.

Rose was also well known for an incident in September 1916 when he brought the U-53 to Newport Rhode Island.

U53-RhodeIsland

To everyone’s amazement, docked and entertained American Navy personnel on board. The new German U-53 anchored at Newport. The crew visited with Americans, allowed visits on their boat.
And, then on the next day sank 5 foreign merchant ships off Nantucket in international waters while 16 American destroyers stood by.

Here’s a New York newspaper of the time highlighting how big this event was in the media.

tribune
“THE DOINGS OF THE U 53.” GERMAN DESCRIPTION OF THE VOYAGE.

The North German Gazette gives the following details of the voyage of the German submarine U-53 to America and back:

“In spite of the frequent bad weather the behaviour and the enthusiasm of the officers and the crew left nothing to be desired from the beginning to the end of the voyage. For instance, every evening the men who were not on watch assembled in the narrow tower and sang patriotic songs. During a storm which the U boat had to face on its return journey on the Newfoundland Bank there was a very fierce sea, with waves like mountains, which the boat took admirably without shipping any water into the tower. You could have imagined yourself in an Alpine landscape, and the men held one another up in the tower to admire the wonderful prospect.

The Gulf Stream was extraordinarily useful on the return journey. But for nautical reasons it was necessary to get out of the current in the neighbourhood of the Newfoundland Bank for some time, and the temperature of the water fell in the space of six hours from 22 degrees to 8 degrees, since the boat during this time crossed from the Gulf Stream into the cold Labrador current. This extraordinary drop in the temperature was very unpleasant, especially for the men on deck. On the return journey the boat had to submerge for two days on the North of Scotland owing to the bad weather.”

U53CRE2IO

ARRIVAL AT NEWPORT.

“The American naval officials in Newport proved most agreeable in every way. But it must be said that the Chief of,the Naval Station was visibly relieved when he heard from the captain of the U boat that he did not require to replenish his fuel or his food. The captain had the impression that if he had made such requests he would have encountered difficulties from the American officials.

The U boat during its two hours’ stay was visited by an extraordinary number of visitors especially American naval officers, who were in some instances accompanied by their wives. All gave a hearty welcome to the U boat and its crew. But in some cases, human nature being so, the behaviour of the visitors was different. While, for instance, the wife of an American admiral promised to keep as a souvenior for all time the cake which the captain gave her, her daughter ate up the portion which was given to her on the spot.”

WHAT AN AMERICAN SHIP DID.

“The U boat was signalled from Newport some time in advance, so that the officials were ready for her arrival. U53 engaged in “cruiser warfare” after leaving Newport. The first ship that she met was the American ship the Kansas. It required a lot of trouble to persuade her to send an officer on board the U boat for the examination of her papers. The captain of the ship engaged in a long conversation with the Morse code. And after he had been dismissed with his papers he began at once in the liveliest fashion to use his wireless to announce his experiences with the U boat. But the submarine succeeded in preventing the transmission of the ship’s signals by its own wireless.

The crew of the English ship the Strathdene consisted almost entirely of coloured men, Chinese and negroes. The Norwegian vessel. Christian Knudsen, had 7,500 tons of oil on board for London. But U53 did not replenish its oil supply from this ship as has been reported. Quite an extraordinarily long time was allowed the Knudsen to save its crew.

U53-2

The English ship Westpoint, as soon as it caught sight of the U boat and learnt its hostile character, signalled without interruption the well-known ‘S.O.S.’ call for help, although it was not, in the ordinary sense, in danger, but only in a military sense.

The English passenger boat, the Stephano, lost no time. While the U boat was engaged with the Dutch ship, the Blommersdijk, and before the submarine gave the signal that its papers should be sent, it began at once to place its papers and crew in its boats. When the U boat came up the ship had already been deserted. It was at that time only a few thousand yards distant from the fireship.

While the U boat was conducting its operations sixteen American destroyers in all assembled in the vicinity of the lightship (Nantucket), without, however, in any way concerning themselves with the military measures of the U boat or disturbing them.” ‘Nottingham Evening Post,’ 10th November 1916.
On the 11th February 1916, Hans Rose was awarded the Knights Cross of the House of Hohenzollern.

The Sinking of The USS Jacob Jones
On 6 December, 1917,Kapitan Rose torpedoed and sank the USS Jacob Jones. This was the first American destroyer lost during WWI. He fired his torpedo from 3000 yards setting a record for the longest torpedo shot.

jacobjones

Rear Admiral Sims, U.S. Navy describes Has Rose as “We acquired a certain respect for Hans because he was a brave man who would take chances which most of his compatriots would avoid, and above all because he played his desperate game with a certain decency. “

On the 6th December 1917, the Jacob Jones (Lt Cdr David Bagley) was based at Queenstown, southern Ireland on anti-submarine duties, was one of six destroyers returning from Brest after escorting a convoy to France. The USS Jacob Jones was struck by a single torpedo in a starboard fuel tank, as the stern sank her depth charges exploded dooming the ship. She was hit at 16.20hrs, going down in 8 minutes. Of the 38 survivors, two were taken prisoner by the U-boat, others rescued by two British ships that responded to a radio signal sent out by ‘U.53’s’ Hans Rose.

And, on 20th December, 1917, Hanse Rose was awarded the Pour le Merite for his bravery and achievements. He was also awarded the Ritterkreuz des Hohenzollerschen Hausordens mit Schwertern.

He was known to British Intelligence as ‘Old Hans is at it again’

u53crewhalsingborg

The U-53 Crew

U53crew

After some searching, we were able to locate some information on the other crew on board.

Arps, Hans (rank Leutnant z.S) served on U 30, U 53, U 96, U 90
Bergen, Claus served on U 53
Bode, Hans served on U 53
Burchard Helmuth (rank Marine Ober Ingenieur) served on U 53
Engel, Karl (rank Leutnant z.S.d.R) served on U 2, U 53
Esch, Günther (rank Oberleutnant z.S) served on U 57, U 99, U 53
Haumann, Waldemar (rank Kapitänleutnant) served on U 24, U 53, U 52, UB 94
Hering, Adolf (rank Marine-Oberingenieur)served on U 53
Huber, Anton served on U 54, U 53
Möller, Henning (rank Marine-Oberingenieur) served onU 6, U 53
Obenauer, Georg (rankOberleutnant z.S) served on U 53
Osterbind, Alfred (rank Oberleutnant z.S) served on U 70, U 53, U 46
Rose, Hans (rank Kapitänleutnant) served on U 2, U 53
Schiele, Arnold served on U 53, UB 95
Schnackenburg, Franz (Leutnant z.S)served on U 53, UB 89
Schrader, v Otto (rank Kapitänleutnant) served on UB 28, UB 35, UC 31, UB 64, U 53
Schröter, Bruno Hermann served on U 53
Stein, Walter (rank Oberleutnant z.S.d.R) served on U 2, U 53, U 57
Wacker, Karl (rank Oberleutnant z.S) served on U 53, UB 22

U53crewTraining

Vessels torpedoed
79 ships sunk

Total tonnage 213,987 tons
8 damaged 45,291 tons
1 warship 1,050

SS Bloomersdijk
SS ChristianKnutsen
SS Stephano
SS Strathene
SS West Point
SS Anna
SS Zeta
SS Nueva Montana
SS Nueva Montana
SS Algorta
SS Hekla
SS Odin
SS Housatonic
SS Aimee Marie
SS Bangpuhtis
SS Bravalla
SS Marian
SS Gazelle
SS Utopia
SS Theodoror Pangalos
SS Federico Confalonieri
SS SS Cavour
SS Lars Fostenes
SS Sriatoi Theodor (damaged)
HMS Folia
SS Gracia
SS Hainut
SS Aquila
SS Scalpa
SS Sculptor
SS Tempus
SS Pontiac
SS Neepawah
SS Eptapyrgion
SS Anglesia
SS Ferndene
SS Elisabeth (damaged)
SS Laura
SS Hekla
SS Ultonia
SS Asheim
SS Atlantic
SS Cedric
SS Mable
SS Pacific
SS Peridot
SS Pretoria
SS Romantic
SS Sea King
SS Stoic
SS Athenia
SS Devonian
SS Roscommon
SS Verdi
SS Durango
SS Kenmore
SS Bostonian
SS Gowrie
SS Lewis Luchenbach
SS San Nazairo (damaged)
SS Manchuria
SS Polvena
SS Parkhaven
SS Megrez
SS Nederland
SS Westlands
SS Dunrobin
SS Helenus (damaged)
SS Earlswood (damaged)
USS Jacob Jones
SS Nyanza
SS War Tune
SS Ǿiekast
SS Euryales
SS Treveal
SS Holkar
SS Marsouin
SS Basuta
SS Lydie
SS Merton Hall
SS Meaford
SS Cadillac
SS Knight Templar
SS Port Campbell
SS Keelung
SS Queen
SS W.m.I
SS Gullfaxi
SS War Firth
SS Rio Mondego

Behind Every Door Is A Story

Behind Every Door Is A Story

Behind every door is a story. And, every window a perspective.

Way back in 2009, there was a brief discussion between Mary Moloney as chairperson of Ardmore Tidytowns and Michael Reilly. This then led to an email exchange about the history of Main Street in Ardmore with James Quain. James then wrote a lovely draft piece on Main Street that we include below. We also include news of an exciting project and a little warning from a poem about protecting our Main Street.

Like so many villages in Ireland, Ardmore Main Street lies at the heart of our community. Behind each doorway is an untold story of the generations who were born, worked and even died here. All these stories form our shared history that has gently evolved through the years. As you explore our beautiful Main Street remember that the street also stores the names if all that tranverse it. Whether these names are past or present, resident or tourist they all combine and continue to shape our community.

MAIN STREET, ARDMORE

James T Quain 29 / 7 / 09

A street may be defined as a broad road within a settlement and lined with houses on both sides. The word street is derived from the Latin strata meaning a paved way. The Main Street is the principal street Ardmore and defines the linear form of the village. It is in fact the only street – all the other ‘ways’ are roads and lanes.

It seems that the term main street was an accepted statement of fact as there is no evidence that it was ever officially named. In Slater’s Directory of Munster (1895) the address of Michael Ahearn’s Hotel, Quinn’s Bakery and the various grocers and publicans are all given as Main Street. The arrival of public utilities such as Water Supply and particularly Electricity in 1954 led to the appearance of many familiar items of street furniture including water pumps & troughs and street lighting. This all served to consolidate and enhance its position as the main street.

The history of Main Street is not simple, made up as it is of individual householders. It is however bound up with the history of Ardmore in general and farming in particular down through the centuries. A few examples will explain this:

Main Street may originally have been a road linking St Declan’s Road / Botahr na Trinse to the sea and perhaps to the early settlement consisting of a crannog/lake dwelling – around 500 AD in early Christian times, to put a very rough date on it. Being on the low ground i.e. to the north of the ‘great height’ of Ardmore, made it suitable for building on later.

The first stone-built house on Main Street was probably ‘Straw Cottage’ – Mgt Murphy’s thatched house. The house and garden are part of Farrangarret but are detached from the main part of the townland and instead form an island within the townland of Duffcarrick. Farrangarret means Garret’s farm so this may have been the farmhouse residence of Garret Fitzgerald who was farming here in 1654. Most of the villagers however were tenant farmers living in very poor conditions. In 1841 Mr and Mrs S. C. Hall described Ardmore as ‘a miserable village containing no houses but that of the rector, above the rank of a cabin’.

The ‘open field’ system of farming allowed for crop rotation and was practiced in Ardmore from medieval times up to the 19th century. Strips of land were allocated within very large open fields to ensure that each farmer / villager had a share of good and bad land. When the Odell Estate was put up for auction in 1893 many houses in the village were still held in conjunction with land in Dysert – the last traces of the system. Johnny Fitzgerald’s house (now owned by Paddy Carleton) was an example of this and threshings were held in the backyard into the 1950s. So the village of Ardmore was a farming community during all that time.

For well over 100 years Main Street has been a mix of residential and commercial properties. Various places of interest can be noted as one wanders down Main Street:
Thatched Houses incl. Straw Cottage
Post Office (4th location)
White Horses Restaurant – site of former RIC Barracks
Community / Village Hall
Ardmore Hotel (Mick Ahearn and later Wm Harris
Old Forge & Banding Stone (former Post Office & restaurant)
—-

Some Exciting News

Jumping ahead to 2016, we are fortunate that Ardmore Tidy Towns are engaged in a great project to celebrate the 1916 commemorations. They are seeking to publish the names of all the residents of Main Street during 1916. With the help of John Tierney of Eachtra, and a member of The Ardmore Grange Heritage Group, local historians Tommy Mooney and Noel Rooney and under the dutiful coordination of Sheila Rooney, this project sounds like it will be a great success. Waterford Council is also grant aiding this initiative.

Family names now associated with the Main Street include:
Power, Harty, Fitzgerald, Dywer, Moloney, McCarthy, Keever, Quain, Carlton, Stilwell, Reilly, Quinn, Murphy, Hassett, Grady, Ahearn, Harris, O’ Brien, Mockler, Veale, Ward, Hanrahan, O’Shaughnessy, Gallagher, Crowley, Rooney, Mansfield, Moloneys, Wolsey’s, Griffin etc so if anyone has any knowledge relating to families who may have resided there at the start of the 20th Century. Please do pass on any information to Tidytowns.

We end with a warning from a poem by Sir John Betjeman about not preserving our past that we should all consider. Our beautiful main street has been fortunate to have not suffered at the hands of …

The Planster’s Vision

Cut down that timber! Bells, too many and strong,
Pouring their music through the branches bare,
From moon-white church-towers down the windy air
Have pealed the centuries out with Evensong.
Remove those cottages, a huddled throng!
Too many babies have been born in there,
Too many coffins, bumping down the stair,
Carried the old their garden paths along.

I have a Vision of The Future, chum,
The worker’s flats in fields of soya beans
Tower up like silver pencils, score on score:
And Surging Millions hear the Challenge come
From microphones in communal canteens
“No Right! No wrong! All’s perfect, evermore.”